In the field of Science and Engineering, women are clearly underrepresented. The gender unbalance sharpens at each stage up above the PhD level and improvement over time is small and slow. In this workshop, CLUSTER unravels possible causes and suggests strategies, plans, measures and best practices towards promoting and improving gender equality. Attention is focused on 2 themes: gender balance in engineering education and academic careers.
Opening Presentation (35’ + 10’)
`The outcomes of the CESAER Gender Equality Survey’
Manfred Horvat, Vienna University of Technology
4 examples of Best Practices 4 times (5’ + 2’)
Best practices cover 2 important themes: Academic Careers and Engineering Education
Sabine Van Huffel, KU Leuven
• Academic Careers: gender action plan, setup of university-wide network of Gender & Diversity Teams;
• Engineering Education: the innovations Lab initiative (Raising engineering awareness in Secondary schools, see www.esat.kuleuven.be)
Kevin Kelly, Trinity College Dublin
• Engineering Education: positive experiences with engineering summer school for girls with the power being the multiplier effect of the students enthusing about their experience
Yulia Kokott, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
• Academic Careers : participation of the KIT at the Horizon 2020 program / “GERI-4-2014: Support to research organisations to implement gender equality plans”
• Engineering Education : Young researchers conquer the campus scientific experiments in the pupil’s lab
Lex Lemmens, Eindhoven University of Technology
• Engineering Education: beta-mentality model, Bachelor College reform and (relative) success in attracting more female talent
Panel Discussion & Wrap up (45’):
Moderator: Teresa Duarte, Technical University of Lisbon
Panel: M. Horvat, Y. Kokott, S. Van Huffel, L. Lemmens, plus one student to be selected
CLUSTER summarizes the main take-home messages
The panel discussion focuses on 2 the following two themes:
Gender balance in Engineering education:
• Gender ratio low, no change in 20 years. Why?
• How to attract more female students?
• How to measure effects of gender actions?
Gender balance in Engineering Careers:
• Why do we need more female engineers?
• Career in Academia: how to stop leaking pipelines?
• Positive discrimination? Impose quota?
CLUSTER (Consortium Linking Universities of Science and Technology for Education and Research) is a consortium of 12 elite European Universities in Science and Engineering (and architecture) with associate members from around the world.